Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

Amazing February

What a month February has been! 

The month of the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) was full of holidays, celebration, activity, crazy race against time to meet deadlines, family, friends, travel, sleep deficit, unpredictable weather and of course, good food! If this is an indication of what the rest of the year is going to be like then all I can say is, bring-it-on!

The month started with a long weekend and we celebrated our first Spring Festival, trying to do all things local. It was amazing. We felt like tourists as we moved from one activity to another and explored parts of Hong Kong we hadn't even heard of earlier. It felt like a real holiday and home felt like a hotel - just a place to take a shower and sleep.
Super spicy numbing peanuts

Vegetarian chicken at the 10,000 Buddhas monastery  

Relaxing after a long day with some wine and spicy lemon prawns at Enoteca

The month ended with a week long holiday when Vishal's family visited 'Asia's World City'. It was awesome. Finally, after 14 months of marrying into the family, I had a chance to spend time with everybody, and show them my city. Although it's a bit of a cliche, I really don't know how the week went by.
Coconut ice cream in a coconut at The Venetian, Macau

Salmon salad at Main Street USA, Stanley Promenade

The month ended with a work trip to Singapore - a city I've been in love with ever since I visited it in 2005. It was so nice to finally see and feel the sun, coming from the dull and grey HK winter! The trip allowed me time to walk around the city and revive old memories and also to meet friends. I met a friend after eight years and she mentioned how she enjoyed reading my blog posts - hence this post right after coming back home. Thank you Bharti - this post is for you. 

 A fruity welcome at the Sheraton, Singapore

Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf after months, Orchard Road, Singapore

When I had last visited Singapore, I was not particularly impressed by Little India and wondered why Indians in Singapore wax eloquent about it. This time around, I could truly appreciate the place when I saw row upon row of Indian restaurants offering up every sort of Indian cuisine from every region possible. Now, I can't wait to go back to Singapore to go to Komala or Jaggi's or Murugan for their super soft idlis (never thought I would be looking forward to Indian food at a foreign destination but as they say, never say never!).
Chutneys ready and waiting for some of the softest idlis I've ever eaten, Murugan Idli

Little India!!

Action packed February was a month with many many learnings; key of which were - I can do anything I set my mind on doing, no matter how challenging it might seem at the face of it and, while I'm out there, doing the things that I am doing, the thing that keeps me going is the thought of coming back home to my best friend.

2 comments:

Labels

recipe (25) quick and easy (23) vegetarian (16) fruits (11) healthy (11) breakfast (8) quick snack (7) eggs (6) great looking food (6) salad (5) tomato (5) easy (4) food (4) olive oil (4) pasta (4) yogurt (4) bread (3) cheese (3) cooking (3) drink (3) grapes (3) milk (3) mushrooms (3) presentation (3) strawberries (3) tea (3) Mediterranean food (2) Soup (2) apples (2) brunch (2) bruschetta (2) dessert (2) dinner (2) dip (2) eating out (2) festive food (2) herbs (2) honey (2) orange (2) pancakes (2) review (2) sausages (2) soya sauce (2) stir fry (2) sunday (2) sweet (2) weekend (2) white wine (2) Bengali food (1) Festivals (1) Hong Kong (1) India (1) Indian food (1) alu dum (1) beverage (1) books (1) broccoli (1) caramel custard (1) cider (1) cold (1) cooking fails (1) corn (1) delish (1) desserts (1) exploring (1) favourite (1) fireworks (1) flan (1) fresh (1) garlic (1) gujiya (1) hot (1) hummus (1) juice (1) juicy (1) khichdi (1) list (1) low cal (1) luchi (1) lunch (1) olives (1) pear (1) perfect (1) poha (1) prawns (1) quirky (1) rains (1) red wine (1) sangria (1) smoothie (1) spaghetti (1) strawberry (1) sundays (1) thekua (1) traditional Indian sweets (1) tzatziki (1) vegetables (1) water (1)